Becoming a grandparent is one of the greatest, and simplest, joys in life. You get all the benefits of children without being responsible for them! Of course, you’re not as young as you used to be, and keeping up with the young ones isn’t as easy as when you were doing the parenting yourself. With that in mind, here are a few low-impact games you can play with the grandkids to stay active without throwing your back out.
- Bocce – This classic “toss a ball” game isn’t too strenuous. All you need is a Bocce set and (preferably) a big yard. One person tosses the smaller ball, and then each player tries to get their set of larger Bocce balls the closest. Other variations on the same concept include Frisbee Golf and Lawn Darts.
- Dog Walking/Hiking – Nature hikes are great low-impact activities that have a number of benefits: getting outdoors, fueling your grandchild’s interest in nature, and good exercise as well. If you’re not within a convenient distance of any trails, you can always take walks around the neighborhood – double points if you have some canine friends to take with you.
- Swimming – Swimming is an excellent activity that can be as strenuous, or as relaxing, as you like. Kids love it, too. There are plenty of excellent water-related games, too – just no running by the pool!
- Tabletop Games – table tennis, billiards, foosball, and other table top games are fun, give you a little bit of a workout, and are valuable games for kids to learn – as it’s likely they’ll be encountering them a lot throughout life!
- Yard Work – Okay, so this one doesn’t sound as fun as the prior activities. However, kids need chores (even with their grandparents) to stay productive and responsible. Raking leaves, trimming bushes, and other yard maintenance tasks can be done together with your grandkids. If you have a garden, it’s a great opportunity to find out if your grandchild has a green thumb (and put them to work!).
Use these activities to spend wholesome, active time for your grandkids. You don’t have to be able to run a marathon or lift a car to perform any of these feats – just be prepared to have fun!